Saturday, September 29, 2012

Porter Kekoa

Porter decided he had other plans and came into the world when he was good and ready. I was scheduled to be induced on Wednesday.  The Saturday before I was having contractions but they were not consistent at all.  Very frustrating but at the same time I wanted to be able to play the piano for our Primary Program on Sunday.  Some friends of ours had wagers on if my water would break during the program, more specifically during the song "The Wise Man and the Foolish Man".  Thankfully that was not the case.  I ended up staying at church the whole 3 hours still having contractions and all.
5 lbs 10 oz, 18 inches long, 4:18pm
Once we got home, the contractions once again slowed down.  So frustrating!  About 3 am the contractions started to pick up again but nothing consistent.  I decided I would just wait until 8:30 to call the Dr.'s office and see what she wanted me to do.  They told me to go to the Assessment Center at the Hospital, so we went there and they checked me and I was only at a 1.  They would only be willing to admit me if I made any progress while I was there.  After the nurse checked me, the contractions started coming fast and regular (and painful).  90 minutes later I was a 3 and transferred to L&D.  I made sure the nurses knew I wanted my epidural as soon as I could get it.  My anesthesiologist was worth every penny.  He was there as soon as I was ready, he had the needle in my back in two minutes and I was resting comfortably in 5.  After the epi, I was a 6.  The Dr. came and broke my water.  About 90 minutes later and 1 1/2 pushes, out came Porter.  I was so shocked at how small he was but so happy he was here and healthy.
He is such a sweet boy.  We all cannot get enough of him.  The kids love to hold him and even just sit and watch him sleep.  Lana even pulled up a chair and read to him for her reading homework.  I am surprised at how well Tanner has taken to Porter.  He is always telling him how much he loves him.  He loves to feel his soft hair.  He loves to hold him as well, but only for about 25 seconds and then he tells me he's done.  They are both being really great helpers so far.
It's been a bit of a learning curve going back to the newborn stage, but it is so worth it.  It's been a long road and Porter was worth the wait.




6 comments:

Amy said...

So happy! We can't wait to meet the newest member of the family! :)

The Hardy's said...

Aww, so cute! It's great when the older kids want to help. Enjoy that sweet baby!

VoNique said...

What a cutie!

Grandpa Jerry said...

He is my little number 12!

Challey said...

So happy for you that he is here healthy and happy. It must feel like such a relief! He is such a cutie!

Julie Sacks said...

I am so happy for yall! He is so tiny and adorable, and I love the name. I hope you are getting some sleep, that's always to worst part of it all!