So yesterday during Sacrament meeting a letter was read from our Stake Presidency. It encouraged us to participate in a "Media Fast" to help us prepare ourselves for our upcoming Stake Conference the following Sunday. We have been asked to avoid all types of media (ie. the internet, television, radio, newspaper, cell phones...in regard to games, surfing the internet etc.).
My first reaction to this was to giggle uncomfortably. You can't be serious right? Oh, you are serious? Oy.
Tv I can handle. I have a DVR.
Radio, fine. I only listen to it in the car to drown out the kid screams coming from the back seat.
Newspaper, we only get on Sundays. Sometimes we don't get it at all. That's another issue completely.
My cell phone is crap. There's a huge crack in the front screen so I can't see who's calling before I answer. Sometimes it decides to not work at all. I don't even have internet access on the phone so there's no problem there. The games on it aren't even worth my time.
But the internet? I am an internet junkie. The first thing I do every morning while I eat my bowl of Honey Smacks or Cookie Crisp is check my email, my facebook and read the news. Now I'm actually going to have to use my kitchen table and stare at the wall or the dirty dishes in the sink (depending on which chair I sit in) while eating my cereal.
We as a family have agreed to start this so called Media fast tomorrow (Tuesday). Starting it today just seemed like unsolicited torture. It's a holiday. We're on vacation rules. Okay, maybe I'm just weak. 6 days sounds do-able. Well 5, after all Stake Conference is over by noon.
It's only 5 days so no one will probably even notice I'm gone. But I'll be back with lots of pictures of the house (we started painting today!) and more pictures of the kids and our adventures of a week with no Phineas and Ferb, Dora, and Handy Manny. Oh, we'll survive alright. I just may or may not have my sanity intact when all is said and done.
14 years ago
1 comment:
Does that mean you can't go on to LDS.org to study or research gospel topics???????
Post a Comment