I had mentioned some time ago on the blog that we took him to the urologist to get his nether regions checked out and today Tanner had his surgery. I don't want to embarrass the poor kid before he can even defend himself, so we'll just say that the surgery went well. We left the 'burg at 3:30 am in order to make it to the hospital in Jackson at 6 am for check in. Poor guy couldn't eat after midnight so I woke him up at 11:30pm to eat. He could only take down 6 oz. before he zonked out and I couldn't wake him up again. Lana was a trooper even though we woke her up so early. Both kids fell asleep in the car on the way there. I was so proud of Tanner because he didn't fuss or cry about being hungry at all. We could hear some of the kids screaming in their rooms. Not Tanner, he was full of smiles and laughs especially when it came to Lana. They took us to the prep area and talked to us about the anesthesia and put marks on him. I handed him off to the nurse and said she'd call me in the waiting room after they finished putting him asleep and had the tube in. He handled the anesthesia very well. The surgery ended up taking less time than anticipated (it was about a total of 30 minutes of separation). The Dr. came in and gave me the summary (Paul had gone to check on our house) and let me go back to be with him in recovery. Poor guy was so miserable, the nurse gave him 2 small doses of morphine and he finally was able to find his happy place and relax. We tried to give him a bottle, and he ate it, but it didn't agree with his little tummy and he promptly spit it all up. Luckily it landed mostly on the blanket because I hadn't thought to bring ME extra clothes. About an hour later we were able to check out and head home. He cat napped the entire way home and zonked out as soon as I put him in his crib. I think he has been enjoying his Tylenol laced codeine because he's been minimally fussy since we've been home. Below are a couple of pictures snapped while we were waiting for the anesthesiologist.

After Tanner's surgery, I was trying to get him to smile and no matter what I did or what Paul did, the kids first smile was at Lana.

They weighed Tanner when we got there and he clocked in at 20 lbs. 9 oz.
4 comments:
I have to say it, before someone else has a chance: Even the BABY hospital gowns don't have backs!!!
I'm glad everything went ok!
Kiera missed Lana, but it was probably much easier for you without the extra stops...
Good job Tanner!!!
Poor little guy! I hope he heals up ok!
I am so glad to hear that things went so well and that you did not have to stay overnight at the hospital. I have had to do that more than once and it sucks. Nothing beats home.
What a trooper your kids are. It's good that it all went well for him and happy healing.
Post a Comment