Sunday, August 23, 2009

Interior brick wall, entryway stairs, and a driveway!



Some friends of ours in Madison put an interior brick wall in their house and both Paul and I really liked it, so this house we decided to put one up. I am not disappointed. We chose to do a used brick that came from some factory in the south. Not that interesting, but it looks great. They had another brick that I would've chosen just for it's history alone, but it was too dark. The history behind that brick was it came from a factory in Cowpens, SC which was not far from Greenville, SC where we used to live. It was a handmade brick hundreds of years old.




This is the other side of the wall. View from the dining area.



We poured our driveway this week which meant we could finally put in the steps to the house.



So Monday we thought we were going to be able to lay our grass seed, but it was too muddy. Instead we plotted out where we wanted the driveway to go. I knew that I had to keep a close eye on the kids to make sure they didn't fall into the mud. I was doing really well too until I took the kids next door to talk with the neighbors. Tanner went to go stand by Paul, I just assumed Paul would pick him up instead of let him trudge through the mud. yeah, right. I need to stop assuming things. Next thing I know Tanner has fallen hands first into the mud. He picks himself up and he slips and falls on his bum. Paul meanwhile is just standing there watching Tanner get all hysterical because he's covered in mud. Graciously our neighbors let me hose Tanner off so we could go home.

Wednesday we were supposed have people out building forms for the driveway, but they were behind which meant that the concrete had to be delayed. Well, by the time they were ready, it was raining. Then the concrete truck driver demolished our culvert (the drainage pipe in the front part of the driveway...I miss street gutters) and they couldn't finish the driveway until it was replaced. Our grader Wayne, who has just been so nice throughout this whole process, was out there assessing the situation and was up early Thursday morning replacing the culvert and made it possible for us to finish the driveway Thursday afternoon before it rained.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm glad this week is over. It's been an eye opener for me having Lana in preschool 5 days a week. I feel like my week has been extended by an extra 2 days. But I'm glad for the experience because it gets us ready for next year.

Let's also keep our fingers crossed that this fantastic weather we're experiencing will last until Wednesday. We need to get our grass seed down and I could use a better week!

2 comments:

The Hardy's said...

Great progress on the house! I hope you made Paul hose off Tanner.

Grandpa Jerry said...

Looks like you had better get the paint brushes primed and ready to go! And, the lawn mower oiled and sharpened if you get that grass planted!