When I got pregnant this go-round I have felt like I've been on pins and needles. Anxious over little things, wondering if this pregnancy was going to stick. Quite frankly I think I've been in denial about the fact that I will end this pregnancy with a live baby (morbid, I know but since I've miscarried these are the thoughts that run through my head). Everything was going fine, early tests were normal. We had our big ultrasound right before Paul left to come to Texas and found out "Baby C" was a boy. I had one more doctors appointment before I came out to TX and that is when my doctor told me that they couldn't get a clear picture of the baby's heart. So that same day they did another ultrasound. One angle of the heart showed that his 4 chambers were perfectly formed, another angle showed possible abnormalities. My doctor wanted to send me to a high risk fetal specialist for a heart echo, but I just felt like I couldn't fit anything else in before we left, so I promised her I would find a new OB as soon as we got to TX and to re-scan to make sure all was well.
On a side note, I felt like my doctor was kind of jumping the gun a little bit due to my two previous losses. Mainly because I was only 19 weeks at that point. My feelings were justified when I read my medical records and found that the ultrasound tech had recommended a re-scan at 27 weeks.
Anyway...fast forward 5 weeks. And to make a long story short, on Tuesday we had another ultrasound done. I think this was the 4th ultrasound we've had this pregnancy. The tech said his heart chambers looked perfect...but that she was seeing some fluid around the baby's heart. My heart sank and emotionally I was a wreck. The worst case scenarios running through my head (down syndrome, congenital heart defect, etc) Luckily we were able to get in to see the high risk doctor the following day so I didn't have to wallow in my misery for too long. (Note to self: stop googling medical stuff, it will only make you feel worse and worry more)
The high-risk OB was amazing. I wish she could be my normal doctor. She was confident, knowledgeable and was able to explain things very clearly. We had another ultrasound and heart echo done at her office and she said there was nothing out of the ordinary. Everything they looked at was in normal range, we have a perfectly healthy baby.
The last few days have been long and emotionally draining. I have spent at least 3+ hours in a Dr.'s office Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I am tired but feeling good. And for my keepsake and memory of the last few days, we got our first 3D ultrasound picture. We love this sweet bundle already. The kids have enjoyed seeing all of the ultrasound pictures I've brought home. Tanner especially got a kick out of the "pee-pee" picture confirming he was a boy. So many things to be thankful for this week, especially because I know from experience that others are not always so lucky.

5 comments:
Number three for you and number 12 for me and I can't wait!
I'm so glad that everything turned out ok. :)
I've been worried about you guys. I'm glad all is well.
YEAH!!! I am so glad things are going well! I know just what you mean about worrying about every little thing, and then to add prego hormones on top of that....it's just plane craziness! Can't wait to see pics of this little guy!
I love the ultrasound pics. I think he looks like Lana. And I am really glad that everything looks good. :)
Post a Comment