Our next adventure took us to Space Center Houston. It's hard to be a fair judge when you've been to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC where everything is free and actually legitimate. SCH was very commercialized and had very few actual items on display that had been in space. It was also a little pricey for what you got.
We hit the tram ride right when we got there which turned out to be a good idea. By the time it was over I was sweating hot and ready to return to the air conditioned building.
This is the replica that was flown in from Cape Canaveral. There was a big uproar here locally that Houston got the "replica" and New York got the "real" shuttle that went into space.
The famous mission control room, "Houston, we have a problem". I was hoping to get a glimpse into an actual control room. Instead they had "live feeds" on two tv screens that you could watch people getting up and down from their desks. I don't believe for a minute that they were live feeds.
Getting to see the Saturn Rocket was actually really neat. The thing is gigantic, and that itty bitty brown section on the rocket is where the astronauts sit. Everything else is for fuel storage.
The kids got a kick out of seeing the astronaut toilet.
Future astronaut? I don't think his mother could handle the anxiety and worry!
14 years ago
1 comment:
Michelle, I totally agree! We need to meet up sometime. We are here for another 4 years, that should give us plenty of time to plan something right?! When are you due again? I can't wait to see pics!
Post a Comment