Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A little service makes everyone feel better

So I've been feeling a bit under the weather for the last few days and yesterday I had a headache that seemed to hang around from 8am to 6pm (kind of like icing on the "I don't feel good" cake). The day was not a total failure though because I was able to do something really nice for someone who really needed it. I had posted our old car seat and stroller on craigslist, hoping just to get rid of it. A few days later I received an email from this girl who said she was a single mom and in need of other baby things for cheap. She left her phone number and I called her back letting her know I had a few other things she could look at and purchase if she was interested. She sounded very young and sincere in her need for baby things (I'm always apprehensive selling things online to strangers). She stopped by yesterday looking about 6 months pregnant and I think I was an answer to her prayers. She looked to be about 20 years old, she's in the middle of moving and still had a bunch of her stuff in her car. She had NOTHING for the baby. I pulled out some leftover diapers I had from Tanner, the bottles Tanner doesn't use, the formula samples I got in the mail, the bouncy seat, swing, stroller, car seat with 2 bases and some clothes that we never used. I couldn't have asked for a more grateful recipient. I could see the relief in her face. She even asked for a hug when she left. How grateful I am that she didn't turn out to be one of those "crazies" looking to kill me and take my babies, but that I was able to make her day a little bit better yesterday by off loading some baby stuff we can easily buy again when we need it.

2 comments:

Bishop Fam said...

Michelle, you are such a great example to me. I am sure you were a huge blessing to her.

kanaboke said...

Oh my goodness, I love these kinds of stories...you never know the kind of Angel you can be to someone...even on a day where you're having a total migraine! What a blessing you were to this single mom!!