Wednesday, April 9, 2008

An interesting story

So, I don't normally blog about my books. But blogging is slow this week so here goes. I came across this book, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" by Jean-Dominique Bauby. The gist of the story is this guy has a brain-stem stroke and becomes paralyzed everywhere except for his left eye and some neck movement. The stroke, however, did not affect his brain at all which results in what they call locked in syndrome. He writes this book by using a specialized alphabet and blinking. It's interesting to read of how he relates his experiences of what it's like to be locked inside of his body. His frustrations, his patience, his humor that he retains. It takes an amazing sort of person to go through something like that and still look on the bright side of life. Great read and quick too, just a mere 144 pages.

1 comment:

Stuart and Kimber said...

You always find the coolest stripes! I like it!

Oh, and I were blinking an alphabet you can bet it would be even shorter!

Did you keep it for me? Thanks. I'll trade you a Debbie Macomber book.